Total insurance industry M&A deals in August 2019 worth $4.04 billion were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
The value marked a decrease of 15.7% over the previous month and a drop of 13.6% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $4.68 billion.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $2.69 billion. At the country level, Canada topped the list in terms of deal value at $2.69 billion.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for insurance industry M&A deals globally, followed by Europe and then Asia-Pacific.
The top country in terms of M&A deals activity in August 2019 was the US with 27 deals, followed by Canada with six and the UK with five.
In 2019, as of the end of August 2019, insurance M&A deals worth $18.84 billion were announced globally, marking a decrease of 68.6% year on year.
The top five insurance industry M&A deals accounted for 89% of the overall value during August 2019.
The combined value of the top five insurance M&A deals stood at $3.59 billion, against the overall value of $4.04 billion recorded for the month.
The top five insurance industry deals of August 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Brookfield Business Partners’ $1.93 billion acquisition of Genworth MI Canada
- The $753.3 million acquisition of Frank Cowan and The Guarantee of North America by Intact Financial
- Allianz’s $741.72 million asset transaction with Sul America
- The $136.72 million acquisition of Coverforce by AUB Group
- Sdiptech Publ’s acquisition of Auger Site Investigations for $30.28 million.